Monday, March 20, 2017

The Big Ugly Old Thing

 A while back, my wife and I added a room on to our house to house my computers and serve as an electronics and radio lab. My wife designed it and it's a lovely airy space, with some nice architectural touches and plenty of light from skylights and windows.

  She was a little nonplussed at how it looked after I had moved in all of my gear. The racks of old computers didn't bother her - the steel breadracks filled with spare parts, half completed projects and assorted electrical and mechanical doodads did, however. 

  She fashioned some very nice curtains for the racks that really cleaned up the look of the place. Proud of her work, she started inviting her friends over to see what she'd done to spruce up the room..

  She reported how the first visitor took it. Her old friend Kathy was quite taken with the place and how well the "mess" had been covered up by the curtains. She however, apparently did not care for the look of the racked computers. While my wife was looking at something else, Kathy, staring at a rack of PDP-11/05s that had seen better days, said "Why don't you get rid of the big ugly old thing?". My wife didn't notice she was looking at the 11/05s and assumed she was talking about me. "Oh, I can't get rid of him now - we've been together too long" she answered. So, apparently, I'm  safe. But now I'm referred to as "the big ugly old thing"....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?